Saturday 14 January 2012

Saturday 14th January, 2012 - Milk Duds

People seem to really enjoy debating with me what should and shouldn't be written about on this blog. I think in the beginning it started off as chocolate 'bars'. However, that's kind of restrictive. I think a more adequate description would probably be something like 'chocolate confectionery'. Though I'm sure someone will have a problem with this too. End of the day? I make the rules. And no, neither Gold bars nor Caramacs count....! :P


The second item from my care package of American treats; Milk Duds. They're chocolate covered pieces of chewy caramel. The word milk in the title refers to the large amount of milk in the recipe, and the duds part is due to the shape. Originally, the makers wanted to make them perfectly round, but it proved to be impossible. I'm guessing that's due to the sticky consistency of the caramel.

Neither the caramel nor the chocolate in these is the best. The caramel tastes artificially sweet, and the chocolate is that kind that doesn't melt nicely in your mouth. It's a real shame, because they could be so good. Also, the caramel is very chewy, but the kind of chewy that gets stuck to your teeth really badly. I wouldn't suggest eating these if you have a loose tooth...!

Even if these are, apparently, the 'most apologetic of the boxed candies', I'd still prefer Toffets, the British equivalent... Whatever happened to those?!

No comments:

Post a Comment